The difference between in-home boarding and in-home pet sitting
Comparing in-home sitters vs. kennels
- perform daily house security checks (checking for break-ins, water leaks, alarm triggers, sprinkler damage, any number of house-related problems that seem to happen when client’s are away from home for any length of time)
- take in mail/papers/packages (do you really want packages/papers piling up at your door? This is an obvious signal to thieves that nobody is home, you’re an easy target!)
- pet medical emergencies/illness (sitters are on the ball and always watching your pet for anything out of the ordinary. Will the kennel notice your pet has come down with a fever/has a cough/runny nose? Not likely.)
- stress-free care for your pet (pets are going to be stressed at an unfamiliar place, especially in a caged kennel environment with other pets barking)
- healthier at home (kennels are a perfect breeding ground for disease, as many pets are housed close to each other. There is no need to subject your pet to illnesses)
Pet sitting myths
- Sitters only stay 5 minutes/day to check on pets, then leave. (A pro pet sitter will provide you with rates for a specific time period, and use an app that tracks time, and will stay the entire agreed-upon length of time).
- It’s all playtime. (We carefully watch all pets for illness/injury and contact clients immediately if anything is unusual. Transport to a vet is available in most cases. Will a teenager/child/neighbor know the signs of an illness and transport to a vet? Often not. Pro sitters are often trained in pet First Aid/CPR.)
- Cheaper than a kennel. (As this is a customizable, high end service, rates are higher, but you get what you pay for. And keeping your pet healthy and out of the vet’s office will save you considerable money!)
Pet sitter red flags/green flags
- No business license
- No liability insurance
- No contract
- No references
- Ultra low rates (low=$5-$15/visit or $60/overnight)
- Listed on Rover or Wag apps only
- Doesn’t need to meet you before booking service
- Has no experience working with pet
- Has business license, liability insurance and contracts
- Uses an app/online portal/software such as Time To Pet for booking, invoicing, tracking GPS routes
- In business many years/decades
- Requires a meeting with pets before accepting new clients
- Has higher rates (reflects experience and professionalism)
- Has a team to adequately cover all bookings
- Hires employees, not contractors (for greater control)
- Comes highly recommended
Behind the scenes of a typical stay
How my service works
- Sign up using this link https://www.timetopet.com/portal/clawsandpaws/create-account for a phone call or email to assess if we’re a good fit for each other and if we have availability.
- Free consultation at your home in Encinitas, La Costa, Cardiff, Rancho Santa Fe Or Solana Beach is booked.
- If all goes well, I’ll send your Client portal activation link via email, so you can sign my Client Agreement, add your pets’ and your home info and request services, all in your private portal.
- Dates are accepted and invoice is emailed to you, which you can pay online with credit card.
- Dates are confirmed a week prior.
- We perform services in your home and send a report card after each service.
- Upon returning home, you confirm you’re back and you come home to happy, healthy pets!